Let's get our ducks in a row and start next month off right by having a Family Fun night at least twice a week. Here’s eight ideas to get you started. Comment with your ideas so we can add them to the list as well.
1. Take a picnic lunch to a park along with some basic sports equipment. Have lunch then spend some time playing in the park. Just don’t forget the sunscreen!
2. See if your local movie theater has any specials on the first movie of the day. In our hometown, they show a previously released movie at 10am for only a dollar per person.
3. Go to the store and stock up on water balloons. Divide into teams and let the fun begin.
4. Be a tourist in your own town. See if there is a museum, waterpark, amusement park or any other local attractions and plan a day to just have fun.
5. Have a progressive dinner. Choose some inexpensive restaurants (fast food dollar menu definitely qualifies) or partner up with a few friends. Have an appetizer at one location, dinner at the next and desert at the last location. To add to the surprise, if choosing the restaurant option, have the kids write suggestions on paper and draw from a hat to find out your next location.
6. Go garage sale shopping. Give each of the kids five dollars to see what they can find. Start out early Friday or Saturday morning and come home with all kinds of priceless treasures.
7. Have a cookie decorating competition. Roll out some sugar cookie dough (or buy the pre-packaged kind), set out decorating supplies and let the kids make a mess. Then you can eat some of your creations. Deliver others to friends and family with thank you notes from the kids describing their appreciation for all they do to help out your family.
8. Have an old fashioned watermelon seed spitting competition. Purchase a few watermelons, make some lemonade and invite a few friends over. Don’t forget to have prizes for the winners. (candy bars or dollar items from a local store make great prizes)
I am committing to do each of these things this month. I invite you to join me in making family fun a priority this year. Don’t forget to comment with your ideas!